Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Get Help with Citations
If you need help with MLA format or citation, we recommend you use, in addition to this guide, the following:
NVC Writing Success Center
The Writing Success Center is available to help with writing and citing. You can get assistance both online and in-person either by making an appointment or dropping by during their hours.
NoodleTools is a citation manager and generator that you can use for free as an NVC student. Save all your citations, takes notes, and generate MLA, APA, and Chicago citations.
Purdue Online Writing Lab APA Style
The most detailed guide to APA Style available. From Purdue University's Online Writing Center (OWL).
APA Style Guide
The official online style guide from the American Psychological Association.
Academic scholarship is built on presenting factual information. Facts help distinguish between what is "opinion" and what is "credible." Your professors will often require you to present an essay with citations that will anchor your burgeoning academic work.
Citations will allow you to:
- Demonstrate a trail of evidence that supports your thesis/claim/argument.
- Show your professor how to find the evidence quickly and efficiently.
- Protect intellectual property rights.
When should you cite?:
- Direct Quotations: When you use the author’s exact words
- Paraphrasing: When you summarize someone else’s words or ideas
- Facts: When you mention something that is not common knowledge
- Images: When you use pictures, charts, and graphics that someone else created in a presentation
Adapted from City College of San Francisco "Citing Sources" Libguide
The Concise APA Handbook by
Call Number: eBook
Publication Date: 2020
This updated APA 7th edition guidebook provides students with important information in clear, concise, user-friendly language, as well as to offer practical examples that will help them grasp the concept of secondary research writing.