If you are choosing your own topic for your assignment, consider the following questions:
- What is the course about?
- What are your main interests?
- How do your interests intersect with the subject of the course?
- Are there any restrictions to the topic you choose?
- Pick a topic that you are genuinely interested in.
- Narrow your topic as much as possible. For example, "immigration" is a huge area of research; instead, you might try something like "immigration of children from Mexico to the United States between 2015 and 2020."
- While you are conducting research, you may want to modify or narrow your topic. Most of the time this can lead to a better thesis and paper. However, you should consult your assignment prompt or with your instructor if you are uncertain about whether it is okay.
More on Picking a Topic: